National Drink: Tea



I don't remember clearly when I started morning tea and when tea became a habit in my life. Most of us do not remember this fact but one thing they are sure about is they can't live without their first cup of tea in the morning. My taste for good tea has grown gradually over the years. I started with Masala (spice) chai (tea)  and enjoyed every bit of it. In fact, I am still enjoying it as my first cup of tea in the morning.

In 1987 I first saw tea plantation and processing unit in Darjeeling, West Bengal with my parents. My father is very fond of leaf tea and since I was always keen to know how things happen, my father explained everything about it. I was excited to see the plantation and processing. It was a new type of cultivation for me. I don't remember the name of the tea estate but it was beautiful and filled with small green leafy plants, women laborers were plucking tea leaves and throwing them in the basket at their back was fascinating. Darjeeling Tea has a distinct aroma which is unique and different from rest of the tea produced anywhere in the world. Darjeeling Tea enjoys the geographical indication under international law where its quality, other characteristics is essentially attributable to its geographical location. 

Recently I came to know about Makaibari tea estate in Darjeeling which is well known worldwide for its amazing aromatic tea also known as Makaibari tea. It's fragrance is unique and after sipping first time Makaibari tea I quickly became addicted to it. Tea lovers in India must taste this unique tea. In fact, there is one more reason for tea lovers to rejoice. Recently, deputy chairman of planning commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia announced that tea would be accorded national drink of India by next April. Though I will not indulge myself into any sort of debate whether tea or milk should be national drink of our country but this little piece of new is a great matter of delight for tea lovers.



Comments

  1. Thanks for dropping by.
    I enjoy Home made Tea or Irani Chai at Hyderabad.

    Try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tea as well, can't live without it even for a day. :) Well it was unofficially our National drink for a long time, now it just became official. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello.
    I think tea is popular all over the world. I've had the pleasure of tasting Darjeeling Tea and there really is no other like it. Enjoyable post. Thanks for sharing.

    Open The Curtains Of Your Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post!! You left out coffee :( in the contenders for your debate. ha ha!

    I am also a tea lover anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not so fond of tea but i enjoy drinking it partucular tea stalls in bangalore. Good to hear about the national drink. :)
    Chinese are also famous in their unique ways of making tea. They have it as passion.
    Nice post Rajnish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to see someone so fond of Indian tea that he's gone on to research and present his views abt it to the readers. There are so many types of Indian teas...you've already given the example of masala tea..that's my favorite..hav u tried teas from kerala? esp. the cochin tea..it makes use of black pepper n coriander as well..the taste is pretty unique n nice...

    My latest post: 5 Must Have Cool Indian Drinks to enjoy this summer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had this great hot black tea at khardungla,leh,one of the best.Love your post.keep writing.And do drop in my blog too,I am a newbie,would love your suggestions and advice:
    http://www.ankionthemove.com/

    Or Join my FB page at : https://www.facebook.com/Ankionthemove

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an inclination to Coffee because I come from Karnataka which is proud of producing 53% of coffee in India.

    Nevertheless Tea is not something I hate. I love masala chai especially during monsoon with a plate of pakodas. Awesome!!

    Got here through Indiblogger. Nice blog.

    Ashwini from
    http://ashsonline.blogspot.co.in

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have an inclination to Coffee because I come from Karnataka which is proud of producing 53% of coffee in India.

    Nevertheless Tea is not something I hate. I love masala chai especially during monsoon with a plate of pakodas. Awesome!!

    Got here through Indiblogger. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought the decision to declare tea as the national drink was kind of funny. Hope non-tea drinkers are not deemed anti-nationals :)

    I had been a regular tea drinker for many years before I moved on to coffee which has now become quite a necessity. Still enjoy having a cup of coffee during a rainy afternoon, chatting away with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice post
    but please remove the
    word veryfication

    by setting.comment option

    ReplyDelete
  12. a cuppa chai is most refreshing always!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i remember i got hooked during my madhyamik preparations..i just cannot function without a cup everyday..more the merrier..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just read my comment and realized an error. Should read as the below.

    Still enjoy having a cup of tea during a rainy afternoon, chatting away with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. like many Indians me too had this habit... but i gradually grew out of it...
    not an essential drink after all like water :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments...

    ReplyDelete
  17. me 2 a tea freak at least ny thing between 30 to 40
    cups a day :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Facts About Indian Tea

Best of Indian Crafts

Gangs of Bollywood

Water Sports In Goa

King Is Crumbling: Will He Win His Last Battle?

Olympic: Where Is The Gold ?

Bollywood goes super hero way...

Mysterious Iron Pillar of Delhi